The weeks leading up to the start of school are filled with signing up for classes, shopping, sports practices, and other hectic and sometimes costly activities.
To ease the stress of the 2011 back-to-school season, the designers with Closets by Design, a national leader in custom home organization and storage solutions, offer homeowners quick tips on how to get organized before the chaos sets in:
- Do an inventory. The first step to making the back-to-school bustle easier is to clear out any junk that has accumulated over the summer months, and do an inventory of school supplies and equipment. Likely, you will find you are checking off items on your shopping list without ever having to leave your home, which will save you time and money.
- Focus on your closet first. If getting out the door on time is a hassle every morning, take a look at your closet; it may be a major contributing factor to your morning rush. Having a clean, organized closet is not only good for speeding up your morning routine, but sets a great example for your kids.
- Design a comfortable work space. Research shows that the best learning environments are quiet, clean spaces that are designated for studying. Before school starts, create a comfortable work space for homework in your child’s bedroom or the dining room; make sure there is proper lighting and filing and organizing systems to help them stay focused and organized throughout the school year.
- Prepare your home for fall sports equipment. Whether it’s the garage, laundry room, or front closet, designate a space for your kids to leave their sports gear. Add hooks, drawers or cabinet to give every pair of cleats or swim suit has its place in the home. This will help to maintain equipment and avoid the cost of replacing missing items.
- Designate space for backpacks and other gear. Just like at school, it is a great idea to have a special place for backpacks and bags at home. Not only will you have more room to go about your lives when school is out for the day, but gathering belongings the next morning will be a world easier as well. It is as easy as installing hooks or small locker-style spaces in your garage or laundry room.