(My review of a book by this woman-- who *clearly*
knows what she's talking about-- will be posted this week!)
Fabulously Hired : How to land the job you want after years out of the workforce
How can Moms break back into the business world after taking time to raise their kids? To follow are Ellen’s essentials for the job hunt:
· Dress for the paparazzi: Fabulous people have serious flair–and killer style. Stick with the basics as you’re starting out. Repeat after me: white button-down, grey cardigan, a great rain coat and accessories, accessories, accessories.
· E-mail like a pro: Each should have a grabbing subject, a warm greeting, the meaty point of the e-mail and a concluding sentence. Be concise and clear.
· Spell-Check is king: Anything you write, from an e-mail to a tweet, should be proofread. No excuses.
· Know something: Read the paper–always have a conversation-starter in your pocket.
· Manners matter: Handwritten thank-you notes never go out of style and are rarely forgotten.
· Banish “whatever”: Everything matters. Yoga pants to anything other than yoga class? What if you meet your future employer while you’re out?
· Be Real: Be professional. Be polite. Apologize when you’ve made a faux pas, don’t act like nothing happened.
· Be proactive, not reactive: Don’t assume everyone at a meeting knows each other–make introductions and render yourself impossible to forget!